DE CUONG ON TAP TA 8 Nguyen Chien Thang
- I get up at six everyday - He is often free on Sunday
- He gets up at six everyday. - He has lots of friends here
- He doesn’t like coffee - Do you often read?
- I visited Hue last year - I was tired after the trip
- He went to HCMC yesterday - We were not there yesterday
- I didn’t see him two days ago - Did you go to school yesterday?
- I will see you tomorrow. - He won’t be here next week
- Will you be here tonight? - What time will it start?
- I am writing now - He is not watching TV now
- What are you doing? - I am doing my homework
- He is always playing video games
- I was watching TV at 7 o’clock last night.
- He was doing his homework when I arrived.
- He was reading while she was cooking yesterday.
- I have lived here for ten years - He has just gone out
- I haven’t seen him yet - Have you ever been there?
2. Passive forms:
- The glass is broken into small pieces
- The house was built last year
- The food has been cooked by Nga
- The project will be started next week
- This exercise must be done carefully
3. Reported speech:
- He said to me: “Open the door” - He said :“Don’t go out, Ba”
He told me to open the door He told Ba not to go out.
- She said to him : “Can you help me?”
She asked him to help her.
- She said to me: “I must go now” - He said: “My house is old”
She told me she had to go then He said his house was old
- He asked me: “ Do you like coffee?”
He asked me if I liked coffee.
- She said to me: “Is Ha Long Bay in Viet Nam?”
She asked me whether Ha Long Bay was in Viet Nam
4. Requests, offers, promises
- Will you open the window, please? - Sure
- Could you give me a bandage, please? - OK. Here you are
- Shall I carry your bags? - No, thanks
- Can I get you some water? - Yes, please
- I promise I will work hard - I hope so / Good
- I promise to go to school on time - Don’t forget
5. Requests with “Do/Would you mind…?
- Do you mind closing the door? - No, I don’t mind
- Would you mind opening the windows? – I’m sorry, I can’t
- Do you mind if I take a photo? - Please do / Please go ahead
- Would you mind if I took a photo? – I’d refer you didn’t
6. Verbs followed by to-infinitive:
Decide, tell, ask, request, want, start, try, …
- She decided to go by car - He asked me to help him
7. Adjectives followed by an infinitive/ a noun clause
Afraid, angry, bad, certain, disappointed, glad, grateful, happy, hopeful, important, lucky, pleased, possible, sad, sorry, sure, thankful, true, wrong…
- It’s important to learn English
- I am happy that you passed your exam.
8. Question words before to-infinitive:
- Nga told Nhi how to get there
- He showed me where to buy tickets
9. Compound words:
- Viet Nam is a rice-exporting country
- Its is a bull – fighting festival
10. _ed and _ing participles:
- The boy reading a book is Ba
- The lamp made in China is 5 dollars.
11. in order to, so as to:
- I study hard in order to pass the exam
- He got up early so as to go to school on time
Talk about first aid:
- ambulance, bandage, emergency, conscious, unconscious, bleed, wound, elevate, minimize, damage, sterile, victim, patient, fainting, shock, burn, …
- stretcher, crutches, scale, wheelchair, eye chart, …
Talk about environment and recycling:
- protect, reduce, reuse, recycle, overpackage, metal, fabric, leather, compost, deposit, bucket,
- soak, mix, mixture, wrap, press, scatter, liquid, chemical, …
Talk about vacation:
- resort, Institute, accommodation, destination, Eternal Spring, waterfall, railway, tribal village, slope, jungle stream, guest house, magnificent cave, limestone island, local transport, World Heritage, sand beach, florist, harbor, paddle, adventure, rescue, lean, volcano, lava, prison, carve, hospitable, memorial, religious, royal, snorkel, wonder, crystal-clear, marine, canoe, valley, brochure, wharf
Talk about the weather:
- cloudy, cold, cool, dry, fine, humid, rainy, snowy, sunny, warm, wet, windy, 25 degrees Centigrade , minus five degree Centigrade,
Talk about the festival:
- ancient, pottery, competition, upset, yell, teammate, contest, separate, husk, prize, judge, council, award, …
- Christmas carol, Santa Claus, patron saint, decorate, design, custom, church,
Circle the best answer:
I ___________ TV in the living room at seven last night.
A. have had B. was having C. were having D. had
Vietnam is a ______________ country.
A. rice – export B. export – rice C. rice – exporting D. rice exporting
She’s not finished the letter _________
A. already B. yet C. never D. just
Have you ever _________ to the USA?
A. go B. goes C. gone D. went
I asked my teacher _________ Ha Long Bay was in Viet Nam
A. what B. when C. whether D. weather
I was waiting for my friend outside the stadium __ they arrived.
A. before B. after C. when D. while
Nga told me where __________ souvenirs
A. buy B. to buy C. bought D. buying
My house _____________ long ago.
A. built B. was built C. build D. were build
English speaking Club __________ in the library twice a month.
A. held B. hold C. is hold D. is held
He asked his father if Big Ben _________ in the USA.
A. is B. are C. was D. were
He ________ she was living in the country.
A. said B. told C. said to D. asked
They __________ in Ca Mau since 1975
A. lived B. have live C. have lived D. live
13. ___________ you like a cup of coffee ? Yes , please .
A. Would B. Do C. Could. D. will
14. The glass is ____________ into small pieces .
A. break B. broken C. broke D. breaks
15. I opened my book in ___________ to read .
A. so B. as C. order D. like
16. Those poor students will _________
A. be help B. be helped C. helping D. help
17. Will you come _________ to my place on the weekend ?
A. over B. in C. at D. with
18. I promise I ________ back in about half an hour
A. am B. be C. will be D. have been
19. Can I get you some drink ?
A. good B. OK C. Yes, please D. Sorry
20. ________ I empty the basket for you?
A. Will B. Would C. Shall D. Could
21. I can see a boy _________ a water buffalo.
A. ride B. riding C. to ride D. ridden
22. Would you mind _________ the window?
A. close B. closed C. closing D. to close
23. It is dangerous __________ near the stove.
A. go B. to go C. going D. went
24. I am sure _______there are no trains from Ha Noi on Sundays.
A. where B. which C. who D. that
25. He’s always ________ at night.
A. go B. goes C. going D. to go
26. The house __________ white is hers
A. paints B. painted C. painting D. paint
27. I decided _________ a new house yesterday.
A. buy B. bought C. buys D. buying
28. He said that he was doing his homework _______
A. now B. then C. tomorrow D. day
29. He ___________ me if I walked to school.
A. told B. said D. said to D. asked
30. She thought she might ________ him at the party.
A. meet B. met D. meeting D. to meet
I- Fill in the blanks with the given words. There are some extra words.
have, rich, called, southeast, quickest, promise, throw, developed
Singapore is a beautiful country. The cleanest………………………. Asia. Everyone will be fined if they………………………… anything on the street or in public. It is the most……………………country in the area. It is…………………………”Asia Dragon” .Today you can travel there by airplane which is the …………………………way at a less expensive cost. I hope that I……………………………….a chance to go there in the future.
II - Choose the word (a ,b, c or d) that best fits each of the blank spaces :
Paper was (1)…………………by the Chinese in the first century A.D. Most paper is made (2) …………………wood . When trees are (3) ………… ,they are transported (4) ………………land or water to the paper mill . Here they are cut up and the wood is broken up into fibres, which are (5) …………………………with water and chemicals. This wood pulp is then dried on a machine and (6) ……………… into paper.
1. a. imagined b. invented c. thought d. brought
2. a. from b. of c. by d. with
3. a. cut in b. cut of c. cut down d. cut up
4. a. on b. of c. through d. by
5. a. turned b. mixed c. beaten d. joined
6. a. make b. making c. made d. to make
III- Read the passage and choose TRUE or FALSE statements
A boy was riding a bike when he had an accident. He fell off his bike and his head on the road. His head was hurt, it was bleeding. However, he was still conscious. It was an emergency so people called an ambulance, in order to take him to hospital. Some people tried to stop the bleeding by using a handkerchief to cover the wound. Then they put pressure on it and held tight .After ten minutes, the ambulance arrived and people took the victim to hospital.
1 / The boy had a bike accident _____
2 / His left hand was broken. _____
3 / The boy was still unconscious . _____
4 / People covered his wound with a thick bandage . _____
5 / The boy was taken to hospital after ten minutes _____
IV- Read the passage carefully, then decide whether the following statements are true or false:
The Great Wall of China is the longest structure ever built. It is about 6,700 kilometers long and it was built completely by hand. About one million people worked through the day and night to build the wall. Many of them were criminals, troublemakers, musicians, teachers, writers, artists and farmers. The purpose of the building of this wonder was to protect China from outside enemies. A lot of people died and were buried in the wall.
Today, much of the wall is damaged, but it still attracts millions of visitors every year.
_____ 1. The Great Wall of China is the longest structure in the world.
______ 2. People built it by hand.
______ 3. People built it during the night.
______ 4. About one thousand built it
______ 5. People built it to protect China from outside enemies.
______ 6. A lot of people died and were buried near the wall.
I - Write a thank-you note to a friend. Invite your friend to go on a picnic with you. Arrange to contact your friend. Use the following words to guide your writing.
Thank you / a pen / you / send /me /my birthday.
It/ nice /and / I /really/like /it.
I/just/ finish/ my exam /so/ I /free /now.
I/think/ it/nice/ go on /picnic /for the weekends.
Will you / go /me?
We/go/Vung Tau/Saturday morning.
And/ return/ Sunday afternoon.
II - Imagine you are a tourist on vacation in a certain place/city in Viet Nam. Write a postcard to a friend about your trip. You need to cover the information about:
-Place: name the place you visit
-how you feel about the people: friendly, hospitable, helpful….
-what the weather is like: warm, cold, windy, sunny…
-who you meet/see: old friends, teachers, neighbors, relatives…
-what you see: museums, libraries, zoos…
-what you buy: souvenirs, books, photos, postcards…
III – In about 80 words, use the following questions to write about a holiday you have had.
Where did you go?
Who did you go with?
How long did you stay there?
What did you do there?
What did you buy?
How did you feel about the holiday?
IV – Write about a festival in Viet Nam you have known. These questions will help you.
What is the name of the festival?
Where was the festival held?
How long the festival last?
How were the activities organized?
What do you think about the festival?
V - Complete these sentences into the story. Start with the sentence below.
Tom and Jack had an evening to remember last week.
They / go / movies .
The film / very good / but it was longer than they thought.
When they / come out / cinema, last bus had gone
They / not know / how to get home.
Tom / want / get / taxi but Jack did not agree.
Finally, they / start / walk home.
It / very long walk
They / get tired, suddenly / car /stop next to them.
To their surprise, it / the neighbor of theirs.
They / very happy / see him because they / can get a ride home.
VI – What should you do to reduce the garbage in your school.
Complete these sentences.
1. We should _________________________________________
2. We shouldn’t _______________________________________
3. Why don’t we ______________________________________
4. What about ________________________________________
5. Let’s _____________________________________________