PHRASAL VERBS WITH “SET”
I. Fill in the gaps using appropriate prepositions or adverbs.
1. The rains have set....early this year.
2. That strike set....a series of strikes and demonstrations throughout the country.
3. They hoped to arrive before dark as they had set....at four.
4. They set....for Basle at dawn.
5. In this book we set....to prove that pupils can learn phrasal verbs.
6. He set....a new record in the history of American football.
7. I did not like to depend on my father and so I set....onmy own.
8. The Spanish civil war set family....family.
9. The sooner we set....it the sooner we shall finish it.
10. His mastery of language sets him....from other poets of his time.
11. The bad weather will set....our plans by several days.
12. The bus set the children....just before the school gate.
13. Fortunately the wound was treated before an infection could set....
14. They set....in search of the lost child.
15. If youdare approach my house, I shallset the dog....you.
16. Set....the chairs and tables for the meeting.
17. The council set....a committee to study the drug problem.
18. They got married and set....home together.
19. The gardens of the Palace had been beautifully set....for the occasion.
20. It is already ten o'clock, time to set....
21. Winter has set....early this year.
22. This speech sets him....from other MPs.
23. The search party set....in the hope of finding the lost boy.
24. They haven't set....working yet.
25. The boy wants his parents to divorce and is trying to set one....the other.
II. Replace the following phrasal verbs with another word or phrase of the same meaning.
1. The sooner we set about it, the sooner we'll finish.
2. Religious wars set family against family.
3. Winter has set in early this year.
4. That one demonstration set off a series throughout the country.
5. They set off at six and hoped to arrive before dark.
6. They set out for London at noon.
7. In this book the author sets out to prove that socialism is a necessary evil.
8. He set up a new record for the 2,000 metres.
9. When he got married he set up on his own.
10. It is time to set about our work.
11. The incident set back the talks for over a year.
12. They set our proposal aside describing it as pathetic.
13. The book set me back a couple of quid.
14. "Star Wars" was set in a far off galaxy.
15. The train stopped in Luton to set down some passengers.
16. They set their defeat in the world cup down to their lack of physical preparation.
17. The wind is setting in from the west.
18. A cold spell is setting in in Nevada.
19. The way he writes sets people thinking that he's a professional.
20. They set out to find the solution to the mystery.
21. She's the kind of woman who sets rumours about.
22. When I opened the door heset the dog on me.
23. He set my theory aside by saying it had no basis in fact.
24. She sets their divorce down to his lack of sensitivity.
25. The hunters set the dog after the rabbit.
III. Replace the words in italics with the appropriate phrasal verb.
1. It is time we started our work.
2. The incident delayed the talks for over a year.
3. The journey cost me a thousand dollars.
4. The film took place in New York.
5. The train stopped in Bath to let some passengers off.
6. He puts the loss of sales down to overpricing.
7. The wind is blowing from the north.
8. A warm spell is beginning.
9. They started out on a journey to Rome.
10. The dog knew I wasa stranger and attacked me.
11. After graduating, he established himself as a dentist.
12. Before he retired he established his sons in business.
13. The strike has provoked a series of strikes throughout the country.
14. They hoped they'd arrive before dawn as they had left before three.
15. The council established a committee to study the problem.
16. Arrange the tables and chairs for the meeting.
17. The gardens had been arranged for the occasion.
18. They left in search of the their prey.
19. The bad weather will delay my plans to leave.
20. The rains have started early this year.
21. Winter has begun early this year.
22. That car must have cost him a lot of money
23. President Kennedy put the crisis down to Soviet policy.
24. That demonstration is likely to provoke many others around the country.
25. The government has established a committee to study the matter further.
IV. Fill in the gaps using one of the following phrasal verbs.
set in, set off, set out, set up, set on, set about, set aside, set back, set down
1. That demonstration set....a series of disturbances in the area.
2. They set....at six and hoped to arrive before dark.
CẤN CHÍNH TRƯỜNG EXTRA COURSE 11 & 12 PHRASAL VERBS - SET
3. Winter has set....early this year.
4. When he married he left his uncle's shop and set....on his own.
5. When she saw the burglars lurking in the shadows, she set her dog....them.
6. The film was set....a big city.
7. The sergeant set....a lot of explosives.
8. They set....to find a solution to the problem.
9. They set....for Rome at dawn.
10. He will be well set....in that business.
11. This leather jacket set me....£1,000.
12. We decided to set....an association in order to build a charity centre.
13. It's time we set....our work.
14. The judge set his request....
15. The incident set....the talks for over a month.
16. He's made up his mind and he's set....his purpose.
17. The soldier set....the explosives.
18. The directions are set....clearly.
19. The dog suddenly set....me.
20. They have set....an association in order to defend themselves.
21. The soldiers didn't set....to frighten the villagers.
22. They are going to set....anassociation.
23. We're leaving, we are going to set....at six.
24. She set....preparing the dinner.
25. The accident set....the settlement for over a year.
KEY TO I
KEY TO II
2. put families
9. established himself
14. took place
15. let off
16. blamed on
17. starting to blow
19. makes people think
20. took steps
22. made .. attack me
24. blames on
25. sent the dog
in pursuit of
KEY TO III
1. set about
2. set back
3. set me back
4. was set
5. set.. down
6. set.. down
9. set out/off
10. set on
11.set himself up
12. set up
13. set off
14. set out/off
15. set up
16. set out/up
17. set out
19. set back
20. set in
21. set in
22. set him back
23. set .. down
24. set off
25. set up
KEY TO IV
CẤN CHÍNH TRƯỜNG EXTRA COURSE 11 & 12 PHRASAL VERBS - SET